This Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cake made of a 6-inch chocolate cake covered and decorated with fondant. This design is based on this cake.
As a child, I was never good at playing with clay so I wasn't sure if I will be able to make the turtles' faces. As it turns out, the colors helps a lot to make the decorations identifiable. Here's how I made the turtle faces:
- Start out with a ball of fondant
- Shape the face a bit by pressing a finger a bit where the eyes will be to give it somewhat of a face shape
- Roll little fondant ropes in the colors of the masks for each turtle. After rolling, flatten the part that will cover the eyes then attach to the turtle heads.
- Make white small fondant balls for the eyes and smaller black fondant balls for the pupil of the eyes. Shape and flatten the fondant as needed and attached on top of the masks.
- Use a sharp tool to mark the smile for each turle.
I don't think I got the exact colors for the masks but the birthday celebrant didn't seem to notice :) Overall, the cake made for a fun surprise.
Happy Birthday Erwin!