Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Mario Cake (and how to make mario's face)


This Mario cake was made for my Godson's birthday.  It was a 6-inch chocolate cake covered and decorated with fondant.  At 3 years old, he loves to play video games and Mario is his favorite character.

When I first decided to make this cake, I was a bit worried because I can't draw to save my life.  Thank God for wax paper!  I used the wax paper to trace the image.  Here are the steps I followed in constructing Mario's face:
  1. Print the face in the size needed for the decoration
  2. Use wax paper to trace the image.  Put the wax paper on the printed image and trace away.
  3. Roll out the fondant in the colors that are needed for the image.
  4. Place the wax paper on top of the rolled fondant and using something sharp (I used a toothpick), trace the image to leave marks on the fondant.
  5. Lift the wax paper and cut the fondant pieces.
  6. After cutting all the fondant pieces needed, now it's time to do a puzzle!
  7. Go back to the original printed image and put the fondant pieces together to match the image.
Making cakes is so much fun for me.  But still, the best part of making cakes is seeing the happy face of the birthday celebrant.

Happy Birthday Evan Jacob!

No comments:

Post a Comment